Have you prepared your favorite movie or game disc and now you are ready to enjoy it? When you insert the DVD into your PC, it doesn’t play. It’s really frustrating and irritating. If you are trapped in this question, read on and you will find out 3 free and useful ways to play DVD movies on your Windows PC.
Method 1: Directly Get DVD ISO File on Windows
In Windows 10 you can directly open ISO file without download any other plugins. Just open the ISO file in your computer by find the file manager, as Windows 10 has a virtual DVD drive, you will get a ” DVD Drive (G:)”. Then click on it, you can install the virtual DVD drive in Windows 10 to play DVD ISOs after searching for setup.exe.
Method 2: Converting DVD to MP4 with DVD ripper
To play DVD on computer, you can also convert DVD to common format like MP4, AVI, MOV, etc. You can digitize your DVD collections by storing them in HD videos in this way and creating an easier way to share your DVDs with friends and families. Here we recommend one powerful software called WinX DVD Ripper for you. With this DVD ripping software, you can rip DVD to MP4, ISO, MPEG, MKV, HEVC and other 320+ video/audio codecs. Here is the step-by-step tutorial about quickly converting your DVDs to MP4 format.
Step 1. Insert the DVD. Click on “DVD Disc” in the toolbox and then the application automatically loads all the content.
Step 2. Choose the output profile. Next, a window will be displayed with the different formats to convert the content. Since this is an MP4 in our case, we need to select General Profiles>MP4 Video.
Step 3. Start to rip DVD. Once these settings finish, you have to click on the blue “RUN” button to start the ripping process.
You can also backup, edit and copy your DVDs and transfer it on any device. And you don’t have to worry about if it is difficult for you to use this software. Because all the users need to do is follow the 3-step instructions shown on the interface. It can really be considered as a very user-friendly software.
Method 3: Play DVD disc with free multimedia player
5KPlayer is a free DVD player that supports 4K DVDs and home discs with region code 1-6 on Windows and Mac. It also supports ISO images, VIDEO_TS folders and VOB files. Also, even if you have DVDs protected by Sony ArccOS encryption method, Disney DRM, CSS, etc., 5KPlayer handles it all without any problem. Just click the “DVD” image button on the main interface, and then you can freely enjoy the movies with superior visual & auditory experience. More than one media player, you can also use 5KPlayer to:
- Play DVD and videos like MP4, MOV, AVI, FLV and others with revolutionary design.
- Work as an HD video player to play DivX, H.264 and other HD video files.
- Play audio files like MP3, AAC, APE, FLAC music perfectly to activate your senses.
- Stream multimedia Airplay content to enjoy tracks from iPhone, iPad or iPod.
Why Your DVD Failed to Play on PC/Laptop?
Above, we collected 3 useful ways for you to play DVD on Windows, but it is also possible that you cannot even do this step because the DVD fails to play on your computer. Below, we listed some of the most common errors you may encounter while playing your DVD on your laptop, and we also summarized some possible causes.
- DVD drive failure recognized
- Dirty or scratched defective discs.
- Disc loaded backwards.
- The objective lens or the drive motor is defective.
- Ribbon cable with cracks.
- There is some outside interference.
- Connections are poor or nonexistent.
- The power supply or control logic board is damaged.
- Lubrication is not adequate.
- Erratic operations
- Dirty lens.
- A defective disc that is scratched or dirty.
- Disk loading problems.
- The length of the disk may be greater than the drive is capable of handling.
- Internal damage to the optical pickup.
- Dirty stroke end.
- Disc not played by DVD drive:
- The contacts on the RCA jacks of the drive unit or amplifier are dirty.
- Mute relay contacts are faulty or dirty.
- The connection to the RCA connectors is poor.
- The power supply faults situations where audio circuits are used.
- The analog circuit has dirty components.
- Dirty controls on an amp or having headphone problems.
In addition to the above information, you should also make sure your DVD is burned properly. Compatibility is another important reason when DVDs won’t play on computers or DVD players. Before playing a disc, make sure it is encoded according to your geographic region and is compatible with your system or the player.