December 9, 2022


Boost Your Website Traffic

Visa Requirements for Indian Workers Moving to the UK

Visa Requirements for Indian Workers Moving to the UK

Year after year, hundreds of thousands of migrants enter the UK – more than most other countries in the world. The majority of them come to work thanks to the country’s thriving economy, professional working surroundings, and high standard of living.

In May 2021, India and the UK signed a migration partnership to foster bilateral relations between both countries. Hence, the UK is the currently best foreign destination for Indian workers.

As an Indian worker with plans to move to the UK, there are some requirements you must meet to get your visa. The type of visa will depend on your circumstances among others. Here’s a rundown of UK visa requirements for Indians.


●     Skilled Worker Visa

The Skilled Worker Visa lets you work in the UK for up to 5 years. You can extend your stay when the visa expires. The main requirement for this visa is a job offer from a UK employer approved by the Home Office. Your employer will have to obtain a sponsor licence before you can apply.

After obtaining the sponsorship licence, they’ll then issue you a Certificate of Sponsorship. This certificate will contain your job role among other details. Notably, your job role must be on the list of eligible occupations.

The Skilled Worker Visa also requires proof of English Language proficiency and a minimum salary depending on your field.


●     Temporary Worker Visa

If you intend moving from India to the UK for a short period, you can apply for a Temporary Worker Visa. With this visa, you can work in the UK for up to 6 months.

The visa requires a certificate of sponsorship from your employer. To apply, you must be at least 18 years and you must have enough funds to support yourself – usually £1,270 at least.

You won’t need to present proof of finance if your employer agrees to support your stay. If so, they must state it in the certificate of sponsorship. Furthermore, you’ll need to pay a £259 application fee.


●     Scale-up Visa

The Scale-up visa, which is set to launch soon, is a fast-track route for talented individuals. You can stay and work in the UK for up to 5 years. Afterwards, you can apply for settlement and get indefinite leave to remain status.

The Scale-Up visa requires innovative skills that help boost the UK economy. Only a qualifying scale-up company can sponsor your visa application. To qualify, your employer must record at least 20% annual growth in employee or turnover for the past 3 years with at least 10 employees in the first year. Other requirements for this visa include a minimum salary and proficiency in English.

Also Read: Benefits of Choosing a Study Abroad Consultant for a Student Visa


●     High Potential Individual Visa

Travelling from India to the UK without a job offer or sponsorship licence is possible with the High Potential Individual visa. This visa requires you to be an overseas graduate – Bachelor’s or Postgraduate – from a top global university. You must have graduated 5 years before applying.

If you obtained your degree in the UK, from a top university, you can’t apply for the High Potential Individual Visa. You can, instead, follow the Graduate Immigration Route.

Not all overseas degree qualifications are eligible for this visa. Hence, you’ll need to confirm your degree with Ecctis. Ecctis will also confirm the date of your degree.


●     Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

The Youth Mobility Scheme visa lets you live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. Application is only open to certain British nationals and residents in certain countries and territories which India is among.

However, you need to partake in the Youth Mobility Scheme ballots which involve sending an email written in English. The general ballot is open to Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan residents. There’s an exclusive ballot for Indians known as the India Young Professionals Scheme.

Furthermore, you must be between 18 and 30 to apply and have at least £2,530 to support yourself.


●     Global Business Mobility Visa

If you’re working in an Indian company with a branch in the UK, you can come to the UK for work under the Global Business Mobility visa. It’s a sponsored visa.

This visa requires that you work in an eligible job and you’re paid the minimum eligible salary for the position. In addition, you must have worked for your foreign employer for 3 months immediately before applying.