Munnar is famously described as the place where ‘clouds hang among the tea gardens’. This enchanting little town, nestled in the hills of Kerala, Munnar, is among India’s top, most travelled hill stations. It lays snuggled at the confluence of three rivers, namely Mudrapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundala. The scenic tea gardens of Munnar owe their roots to the British planters who first cleared the hills to cultivate tea on the slopes.
But beyond those beautifully aromatic tea gardens, Munnar has a lot more to offer when you want to enjoy a quick getaway with your near and dear ones. Be ready to have your own story full of adventure and enjoyment on this piece of heaven.
Route to Adventure
You can reach this spectacular landscape via many routes. The best ones could be from the town Kochi (Cochin), which is just 130 km away or via the town Kottayam, which is 142 km. If you wish to drive yourself through the scenic roads of Kerala, you can easily get a car rental in Kochi to reach Munnar.
Throughout the trip, you will encounter the lush green patches of coconut trees, the pristine and unending acres of tea gardens, beautiful valleys and some exotic species of flora and fauna. Munnar has something for everyone.
Places to Visit
- Tea Estates: Any trip to Munnar is incomplete without visiting the soul of Munnar, that is, its lovely tea estates. There are more than 40 tea estates where you can unwind and bask in aromatic tea plantations.
- Eravikulam National Park: Another must-visit spot on your list should be this magnificent national park. This park is just 45 minutes from the city centre of Munnar and is a UNESCO world heritage site consisting of exotic species of flora and fauna. The park has some delightful sightseeing spots and hosts a variety of ecotourism activities.
- Cheeyappara Waterfalls: It is the most happening tourist spot and the favourite destination for trekking freaks. This place has gorgeous panoramic views and is a great place to have a picnic with your family along with admiring the beauty of nature around you.
- Pothamedu Viewpoint: Be ready for jaw-dropping views, as Pothamedu offers heavenly scenic moments. The lush green hills and the sunset views over the Sahyadri ranges are an experience to enjoy and admire with your dear ones.
- Lockhart Gap: Well, this one is just another breathtaking treasure of Munnar. Located between two mountains, the gorgeous misty mountain view fills you with serenity and calmness. The lush green mountains and meadows perfectly add up to the beautiful location. What’s more beautiful than sipping a hot cup of tea and relishing the moment with your family?
- Kundala Lake: Another must visit spot to have on your bucket list is Kundala lake. Located just 20 km from the city centre, here you can enjoy the rides of conventional row boats. Not only this, the mesmerising lake offers a beautiful backdrop of lush green mountains and stunning cherry blossom trees.
With many more such beautiful treasures, Munnar is waiting for you and your family. Pack your bags, rent a Kochi to Munnar taxi and embark on this beautiful journey. Make memories of a lifetime as you recall your time in Munnar while sipping tea back home.