How Coffee Enhances Mental Health?
- Coffee helps to combat depression & anxiety
- Coffee is a powerful antioxidant
- Coffee reduces stress
- Coffee has anti-inflammatory properties
- Coffee helps to fight dementia & Alzheimer
- Coffee has a rich source of prebiotics
- Coffee can boost brain function
Tips to boost mental health at the workplace. Kickstart your mornings with Levista coffee!
For many of us, the day doesn’t start until we’ve had that first cup of coffee. But did you know that beyond its energising effects, coffee can also positively impact our mental health and overall well-being? From reducing the risk of depression and anxiety to boosting our cognitive performance, the benefits of coffee extend far beyond its delicious taste and comforting aroma. So, please grab a cup of your favourite roast and explore how coffee can do wonders for your mind and body.
How Much Coffee to Drink to Enhance Mental Health?
While moderate caffeine intake can positively affect mental health, the amount of coffee needed to achieve these benefits can vary based on individual factors. The generally recommended daily caffeine limit is around 400mg, equivalent to approximately 4 cups of coffee, to improve your mood and boost energy.
How Coffee Enhances Mental Health?
1. Coffee helps to combat depression & anxiety: Coffee lovers, it’s time to rejoice. A cup of coffee can help to keep depressive and stressful thoughts at bay. The close relation between coffee and mental well-being is that its stimulants of having anti-inflammatory properties that help to enhance mood and boost energy.
Another study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that people who drank four or more cups of coffee daily were 10% less likely to develop depression than those who did not drink coffee. A daily cup of coffee can help keep depressive thoughts at bay because it contains antioxidants, polyphenols, and flavonoids, all known as antidepressants.
2. Coffee is a powerful antioxidant: Coffee contains antioxidant compounds like chlorogenic acid, caffeine, and melanoidin that can help the body neutralise free radicals. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can cause cell damage and contribute to the onset of diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s. Coffee’s antioxidants, by scavenging free radicals, can help reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body, leading to various potential health benefits.
3. Coffee reduces stress: Coffee helps to improve alertness and enhance the mood levels of the body. A study revealed that consuming 75 mg of coffee can help maintain a sustained mood over the day and boost energy levels, reducing anxiety and stress. Caffeine, found in coffee, is a stimulant that can boost alertness and reduce fatigue. It can also increase the production of neurotransmitters in the brain, like dopamine and norepinephrine, which can improve mood and reduce anxiety.
4. Coffee has anti-inflammatory properties: Coffee consists of a complex mixture of compounds comprising caffeine, chlorogenic acid, and polyphenols with anti-inflammatory properties. These anti-inflammatory properties help to improve health benefits along with potent antioxidants. In a nutshell, it will help to reduce inflammation and protect against severe heart diseases. Decaffeinated coffee can also help to reduce inflammation; however, several institutes feel studies need to be conducted to confirm these insights.
5. Coffee helps to fight dementia & Alzheimer’s: One study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease found that drinking three to five cups of coffee per day was associated with a decreased risk of developing dementia and cognitive decline. The caffeine in coffee has been shown to have neuroprotective effects, helping to reduce inflammation and protect brain cells from damage. A study published in Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience suggests that consuming coffee could lower the likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Coffee has a rich source of prebiotics: Coffee not only gives you a much-needed boost in the morning, but it also contains a secret ingredient that may benefit your gut health – prebiotics! Prebiotics are non-digestible fibres that feed the good bacteria in your gut. Coffee contains a variety of prebiotics, including Type II arabinogalactan, galactose-oligosaccharides, and inulin. This prebiotics aid in the growth of beneficial bacteria in your gut, improving digestion, immunity, and even mood. What’s more, the best part? You don’t need to drink much coffee to reap the benefits; just one cup can supply much prebiotics.
7. Coffee can boost brain function: Coffee helps to enhance brain function, improve alertness and mood levels, and release several neurotransmitters and hormones like dopamine. In a nutshell, coffee has several benefits, which can enhance the cognitive performance of the brain and nervous system. Moderate coffee consumption can help improve memory and concentration and avoid neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
Tips to Boost Mental Health at the Workplace with Coffee
Choose high-quality coffee: Select coffee that has been freshly roasted and brewed. This can make for a more enjoyable and relaxing experience, aiding in stress reduction.
Take coffee breaks: Throughout the day, take short breaks to enjoy a cup of coffee. This can help to break up your day, give you a break, and boost your productivity.
Use coffee as a social activity: Use coffee breaks to connect with coworkers or friends. It can improve your social connections and lift your spirits.
Be mindful while drinking coffee: Take advantage of your coffee break to practise mindfulness. Consider your coffee’s aroma, taste, and texture, and take a moment to ponder your thoughts.
Kickstart your Mornings with Levista coffee!
Hey, coffee aficionados, it’s time to spruce your mornings with Levista coffee enriched with aroma and flavours. Whether you prefer a bold and rich espresso or a smooth and creamy latte, Levista has a coffee for every taste and preference. Their premium quality coffee beans are carefully selected and expertly roasted to provide the perfect blend of flavour and aroma that will help you kickstart your mornings and prepare for the day ahead. And we hope the above-listed pointers gave you valuable insights into how coffee helps to boost mental health and well-being.